Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Where is Everyone?


I have noticed a decline in Blog posts over the last year or so…Why? I know I am guilty of not posting often, mainly because I haven’t much to share.  I am still working on minis as time permits. I think I got my "Mo-Jo" back, I  have some new projects and will be sharing soon. I have discovered some great Miniature Groups via Facebook and Instagram.  I would like to share a miniaturist who I discovered late one night on YouTube. Her name is Laurie Heisler.  Her page is full of tutorials, templates, and Ah Ha moments. Check it out here Laurie Heisler YouTube Channel or Blog.  Really neat stuff there.  Some of the work that’s being done on this years’ HBS Creatin’ Contest is amazing.  You guys always blow my mind with your creativity and innovation.  Can’t wait to see the finish projects.  I have often wondered why I don’t see more miniaturists using Cork Board to make bricks. After sharing my work with a Facebook group in hopes of finding someone who has successfully used Cork Board as brick, I was referred to another miniaturist page Handmade Miniatures by Alma.  I was excited to see that it could be done and look so realistic. I still consider myself a novice in the world of miniatures.  Anyway, hope you don’t mind the shout outs of other miniaturist.  We should share, promote, and encourage each other.  Below are some pictures of my Cork Board bricks for the round structure of The Citadel by Lolly's. I attached the adhesive bricks to clear contact paper and added tacky glue for a firm hold. Then I randomly added bricks to look as though they were pushed out. I used Spackle as grout to fill the gaps. This sealed the bricks which was good to prevent the cork from crumbling. The last pic is the image a googled for reference. Painting is next.

Until next time… 







11 comments:

  1. Your brickwork looks SENSATIONAL!!! I love the irregularity of it and the way in which you have grouted it! A Great idea using the self-adhesive cork applied to the clear contact film- it works a Treat! Thanks for sharing your technique. :D
    and Thank you for the links as well.
    I agree that many people have stopped blogging partly due to BLOGGER making changes to the blog as well as crafters choosing FACEBOOK or such like instead.
    There are however a "few" of us "diehards" left to carry on. Good to know that you are still one of them! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! Thanks for sharing all those links and your technique. I've been saving egg cartons, but maybe I will try cork. If I ever actually get around to making brickwork. I also agree that so many of the people I used to follow have stopped blogging, but I think many of them had significant life events - new job etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully all is well and they will return to blogging. I learn so much from other bloggers.

      Delete
  3. The cork looks really effective. I like that some stand out and could possibly be arranged to make those old Victorian type chimneys with patterns in them.

    I've noticed a drop in bloggers/posts too. I think Summer is always a quiet time but a few have given up altogether, which is a shame. Maybe just too much stuff in real-life going on :0(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pepper!! Thanks, yeah real-life does get in the way. Good to see you blogging again.

      Delete
  4. Your "bricks" look great! I like the fact that the cork is flexible so it's great for non-flat surfaces. I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree cork is amazing. Alma's work inspired me too. I follow her on Instagram. Sooooooo much mini goodness on Instagram, very inspiring. It picks up where some of us bloggers have slacked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The brickwork is excellent! What a great technique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Laurie H is very generous in sharing tutorials loaded with really helpful information. I luv her and her sweet offsider dad. I hope to start blog in 2017 when real life gets sorted.

    ReplyDelete